September is here and fall is in the air! With just two weeks until the first official day of the fall season, and yellow and orange leaves already starting to make an appearance on neighborhood trees, now is the time to start planning your fall family adventures! Take a look at everything happening in Saratoga Springs and beyond this autumn.
Adirondack Balloon Festival – Sept 22-25, Queensbury
Located at the Floyd Bennett Memorial Airport in Queensbury, this festival features hot air balloon activities for every comfort level, from simply balloon viewing, to balloon rides and flights. A craft fair and food vendors will also be on the grounds throughout the weekend at this free event.
Adirondack Wool & Arts Festival – Sept 24-25, Washington County Fairgrounds in Greenwich
Ever wanted to learn how to spin yarn, see how sheep are sheered, and peruse over one hundred booths featuring wool, pottery, and more? Head on out to the Adirondack Wool & Arts Festival! The festival will have fun for the whole family, with wagon rides, sheep and goat shows, local yarn and fleece vendors, plus festival foods and beverages.
Saratoga Giant PumpkinFest – Sept 24, Saratoga Springs City Center
This year is the 7th Annual Giant PumpkinFest Weigh-Off in Saratoga Springs! Food vendors and the Saratoga Farmer’s Market will also be open, letting you find your own pumpkins after watching the weigh-off of the largest pumpkins in Saratoga.
The Great Pumpkin Challenge – Oct 15, Columbia Pavilion, Saratoga Springs
With both a 5K and 10K option, this event takes runners (or walkers!) through gorgeous Saratoga Spa State Park. For kids, a 1-mile fun run is also offered! This event raises funds for Saratoga Bridges, making it a race not to miss!
Yaddo Gardens Ghost Tours – September-October, Yaddo, Saratoga Springs
These drop-in tours are offered on Fridays and Sundays throughout September and October at the Yaddo Gardens. Learn about the grounds, ghost sightings, and more on these docent-led tours.
Double M Haunted Hayride – September 24-Oct 30, Ballston Spa
No fall fun list would be complete without a haunted hayride or haunted house! Make sure to get a reservation for a hayride and walk-through attraction this fall season… if you dare.
Corn Mazes and Pumpkin Patches
For some less-scary fall fun, take a look at these area corn mazes, pumpkin patches, and hayrides nearby!
- Ellms Family Farm, Ballston Spa – This farm not only has the Amazing Maize Corn Maze, but also a low ropes challenge course, ziplines, a petting zoo, gemstone mining, apple cannons, and so much more.
- Schuyler Farms, Schuylerville – Ready to check out a 70 foot super slide, pedal karts, and zipline? Your family will find all this and more right in Schuylerville.
- Liberty Ridge Farm, Schaghticoke – Liberty Ridge has fall festival events each weekend throughout September and October. Explore their corn maze, pumpkin patch, and amazing shows.
Fall in Upstate New York means amazing fall colors. While a walk down Broadway or Saratoga Spa State Park will be full of these amazing colors, if you are looking for something a little further off the paved trail, check out these nearby mountains with stunning autumn views.
- Prospect Mountain, Lake George – Prospect Mountain is one of just a few mountains with a publicly accessible road to the top. Great for the whole family, no matter hiking ability, this mountain has both hiking and driving routes.
- Hackensack Mountain, Warrensburg – A little further into the Adirondacks lies Hackensack Mountain. Located within the town of Warrensburg, this little peak has several routes up the mountain and offers views of the town below, as well as surrounding mountains.
- Hadley Mountain, Hadley – If a mountain with a fire tower is what you are looking for, check out Hadley Mountain! This peak, located west of Hadley and Lake Luzerne, offers expansive fall views from the top.
Which of these fall family activities are you most looking forward to? From festivals to farms, hayrides to hikes, there is never a shortage of things to do in Saratoga and beyond!
About the Author
By: Rachel Valerio
Exclusive for JulieCoRealty.com